What you need to know if you want to move or travel to Europe with your pet

There comes a time in our lives when major decisions involve our entire family group. For example, moving to another country, whether temporarily or permanently. But what if the family also includes our pets?

Currently, having a dog or a cat entails responsibility: we take care of a being that fills us with joys (and some frustrations) with its antics. And that also includes ensuring that they are well cared for if we decide to establish our home in other places.

In case you’re planning to go to Europe, for a defined or undefined period, and have decided to take your furry friend with you, here’s some information to facilitate the process.

What do I need for my pet to leave Chile with me?

In our country, this matter falls under the jurisdiction of the Agricultural and Livestock Service (SAG), which issues a document called the Zoosanitary Export Certificate (CZE), guaranteeing that the animal meets the entry requirements demanded by the destination country.

The CZE is not free, and it must be requested at least 10 days in advance; delivery takes 3 business days. It can be requested online at this link, with a Single Key and Chilean identity card, or in person at SAG offices for users with Chilean or foreign nationality. It is collected at a service office.

What do I need to obtain this Certificate? In addition to the Single Key (whether requested online or not), the pet must be registered in the National Pet Registry. It must also have a health certificate, issued by a veterinarian, not more than 10 days old.

Additionally, it must be proven that the pet has rabies vaccination, sextuple/octuple vaccine (dogs) or triple feline vaccine (cats), and deworming. These must comply with the specific requirements of the destination country.

To verify if my destination country has different vaccination and deworming requirements, SAG provides an extensive online catalog of these rules, available at this link. There, by clicking on “Go to query,” a list with the options COUNTRY, CATEGORY, SPECIES, and GROUP will be displayed.

Important: to take a pet to a country in the European Union, the option “European Union” must be selected under COUNTRY, under CATEGORY “Live Animals,” under SPECIES, as appropriate (“Canines,” “Felines,” or “Ferrets”), and under GROUP, “Pet or companion.”

Another important detail: dogs and cats under 4 months old, as they have not yet completed their vaccination schedule, have special requirements. For this, it is necessary to consult directly at SAG offices.

For the case of the European Union, there are some other requirements, in addition to those mentioned. For example, the pet must have a valid rabies vaccination, and at least 21 days must have passed since its application. Finland, Ireland, Malta, and the United Kingdom, on the other hand, require specific deworming for Echinococcus multilocularis.

Finally, the EU requests 3 documents to be submitted with the certification application: a declaration from the person traveling with the pet, a declaration of absence of contact with wild animals, and a declaration of transit without contact with wild animals.

A comprehensive list of all applicable documentation and laws for the EU can be found at this link.

Let’s keep in mind that the rules we have discussed apply to pets or companion animals – cats, dogs, ferrets – but not to wild species, hybrids, or species protected by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

As you can see, there are quite a few things to consider if you want to travel to Europe with your pet. But it’s not impossible!

At AIM Global, we are here to help you with your international mobility plans. Schedule a meeting with our team, and we’ll provide you with all the advice you need to fulfill your dreams of becoming a global citizen. Book now!

Comparar listados